Sunday 19 October 2014

Penang Travel

Went to Penang before the exams with family. Holiday in advance? Totally didn't have any exam mood after that...which is probably a good thing *evil laugh* no stress no stress.

Penang is all about the food. It's the Taipei of Malaysia when it comes to food. I really can't get enough of it, there's just so much.


We stayed at Tune Hotel. I'm really impressed because it's still very neat and comfy even though it's a budget hotel. I still feel luxurious staying there, bed is comfy as ever wheee! There's a 7-11 on ground floor too, really convenient especially when you're in need of snacks. 



First meal of the day in Penang was Char Kuey Teow(炒果条), salted vege soup (咸菜汤) and vinegar pork leg (猪脚醋)

Gawd I love this place. It's a coffee shop to the left of Tune opposite the road. The name's Rong Xiang Cafe if i'm not mistaken. Those 3 were so good, seriously. The salted vege soup was sour enough for me, and it's very addictive. The char kuey teow was really good too, it has just the right flavours and it's greasy but in a good way. The vinegar pork was something new to me. Never had anything like that before. It's sweet and sour together and the taste of vinegar is strong but it's still savoury.

I'm craving for them now, gosh. 







 A place at the flea market around our area. Didn't know the name of the place.

Char Kuey/Chai Tau Kueh, Dim Sum and Har Mee/Hokkien Mee. I still prefer Kuching version of the char kuey (fried rice cake/radish cake, similar to the Korean tteokbokki 떡볶이). Penang version is a little spicy, but then again, Penang delicacies are mostly spicy. Dim Sum was okay, some was nice and others were just so-so. I didn't take the Har Mee here, but I took it at a shop also opposite of Tune. Spicy, and the smell of dried shrimps was strong. Overall it was nice, something new.





Visited the Botanic Gardens. We went for a ride that took us "around" the park. Such a waste of time and money. Tourist trappers. Went mini hiking through one of the trails in the park. Aim: Burn off the fats taken yesterday just so we can take in more. Weird psychology but who cares, it works :P 



Dropped by at Cocoa Boutique on our way back to the hotel. Aunt bought this box of chocolates. Mom bought 3 boxes of chocolate waffles because it's on promotion tho it's still expensive. Such a turn off, the waffles were just meh, kit kat is so so much better than that. 




Munch again at the hawker sites around Macalister Road/Jalan Macalister. I still can't believe I don't have any photos of the food we had there. We had grilled fish (ikan panggang), clams, cendol and my favourite of all : Fried Oyster (Oh Chien). 

The cendol was really really greasy, I guess maybe that's not the right stall to go to for cendol. Grilled fish was superb and the fried oyster was heavenly. I love their version of the fried oysters which is sticky, chewy and moist. The ones we have here in Kuching are like pizzas, like deep fried. I probably can down 5 plates of fried oyster if I have the chance. *cough*


Don't know how we'd end up in this herbal jelly place. It's also opposite Tune. It's really bitter but it's good if you eat it with honey.

Well as for shopping, we went to Komtar and Paragon which we of course didn't buy anything from.

很遗憾 it's a pity that we didn't get to see and visit a lot of places but it's still a fun trip. Something new for all of us I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment