Tuesday 7 October 2014

More Than This - Patrick Ness (Book Review)


More Than This by Patrick Ness

One of the books that you should read before you die. Seriously.

I am not going to spoil anything here. Just a simple simple synopsis for you.

It's about a boy named Seth. He killed himself because he couldn't stand the pressure people put on him just because he is gay. yeh, gay.
He then wakes up in his old town. Without knowing what happened, he struggles to survive.
He discovers a coffin in his bedroom, some friends and a mysterious antagonist along the way.
He finds out that they all woke up the same way and they have something in common.
Thus begins the heart-pounding adventure to solve this mystery and...read it yourself.

It's so so nice and the plot is just epic!
I figured i'd say this in every book review but just trust me, it's really epic.
It's a sci-fi kind of book and sci-fis are the last genre of fictional books i'd read so if I say it's nice then it's really really nice.
I've learnt a lot from it. Mostly about life cause' the book is about life, real life, as real as it can get.

I actually knew about this book while watching someone's review about her collection of books and I didn't particularly take notice of it. Then I went to the book store to look for Eleanor and Park(which I couldn't find and still can't find) and I saw this book. Since there was no E&P, I bought this instead.

If you've read Azrael's Stop which I did a review here, they're both similar stories. About life, death and friendship. Just that More Than This seems more futuristic and real, more convincing.

I just realized that the main character of Azrael's Stop is Ceph and the main character of this book is Seth.
Their names are similar too!

But not to be misunderstood, Azrael's Stop has it's own touch that makes it a whole lot different that More Than This. 

Quotes:

“A book… it’s a world all on its own too. A world made of words, where you live for a while.” 

“Know yourself and go in swinging.”

“No, life didn't always go how you thought it might.
Sometimes it didn't make any sense at all.
You've just got to find a way to live there anyway...” 

“We have to lie to ourselves to live. Otherwise, we'd go crazy.”

“I wanted so badly for there to be more. I ached for there to be more than my crappy little life.' He shakes his head. 'And there was more. I just couldn't see it.” 

“There's always beauty, if you know where to look.” 

“I don't believe in guardian angels," Regine says seriously. "Just people who are there for you and people who aren't” 





No comments:

Post a Comment