Thursday 14 August 2014

Looking for Alaska - John Green (Book Review)

I loved this book. More than The Fault in Our Stars.


Synopsis:

Part One:
It's about a boy, Pudge(Miles Halter), who leaves his home to Culver Creek Preparatory High School in Alabama and he meets a set of bold characters who "live wild, die young"

They are The Colonel, his roommate; Takumi, a japanese guy; and of course Alaska Young; THE Alaska.

Pudge falls in love with Alaska even though Alaska currently has a boyfriend. Alaska's a self-destructive girl who's broken deep inside and Pudge just wants to know more about her.

Part Two:
Alaska was drunk one night and she was on the phone with her boyfie and she just exploded. She took the car keys and headed out and she was killed in a car accident. No one knows what exactly happened. Pudge is devastated and so is The Colonel and they decided to find out what happened to Alaska.

In the end, Takumi admitted he had seen Alaska went out but did not do anything to stop her because he was pissed at them for cutting him out on all things. It turns out that Alaska forgotten it was her mom's death anniversary and she feels guilty so she heads to the cemetery straight away despite that she's drunk.

My Thoughts:

I'm always in love again and again with John Green. Look deeper into his work and you'll see that it's not just fiction. It's life, and life itself. I love this book, I love the set of characters in this book. They're special in their own ways, each with their own individualities.  I love Alaska. Because I'm self-destructive too so I guess I can relate that. Her character is bold, powerful, solid. Great.

"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

"If people were rain, I was a drizzle and she was a hurricane."

""It's very beautiful over there." I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope that it's beautiful."

"The only way out of the Labyrinth of Suffering is to forgive."

 "What's the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?"

"“Sometimes I don't get you,' I said.
She didn't even glance at me. She just smiled toward the television and said, 'You never get me. That's the whole point.” "

“We need never be hopeless because we can never be irreperably broken.”





No comments:

Post a Comment