Wednesday 30 December 2015

Wonder - R.J. Palacio (Book Review)



"Shit, this is one good book!" is what I thought to myself all throughout this book. It's so good, so so good. It's indescribable. It's a wonder.


I want to be selfish, to not recommend this book to people who don't appreciate books and the art of it. Because I want people to feel what I've felt, and experience what it has done to me. I've lost count of how many times I cried reading this great piece (it's my first time crying because of a book, mind you.) because it was just so terribly tragic, but strong, full of heart and humor and inspiring all at the same time.


It was so real. The way things are described, the way conversations went, the way things happen and days passed and time flew and I felt like I was there with August every second of it. I had this urge to reach out (or in) to lend Auggie a hand, and maybe somehow make his day a little better.


Okay, point is, it's a great great book and it's one you'd sympathize with. R. J. Palacio did an epic job, so out of the box, so real, so on point with the feelings.


So who's August? Who's Auggie? Who's him?
ps: I'll try to minimize the spoilers, because trust me you'll want to read the book first.


August Pullman, nicknamed Auggie, is a boy who's suffering from a facial anomaly and that makes him an outsider to everyone else. He has never been to an actual school before, but his parents decides to enroll him into one because they think it's the best for him. Of course, without a doubt, being different physically calls for bullying in just about any middle school these days. So this story is about his days in middle school in a span of one school year, and how he adapts to the people there and also how the people there adapt to his existence.


It's so great because it shows how people are, the nature of us as humans. Even the nicest ones.
The way events unfolded so realistically it's hard to believe this is just pure fiction (maybe it's not) because hey, this can happen to any Auggie out there.


Gosh, I can't say more. I'm so bad at explaining things. My mind is tongue-tied.


It's a ten out of ten.


“The things we do outlast our mortality. The things we do are like monuments that people build to honor heroes after they've died. They're like the pyramids that the Egyptians built to honor the pharaohs. Only instead of being made of stone, they're made out of the memories people have of you.” 

if it really was all random, the universe would abandon us completely. and the universe doesn't. it takes care of its most fragile creations in ways we can't see.” 

the universe takes care of all its birds.” 

“It's what you've done with your time, how you've chosen to spend your days, and whom you've touched this year. That, to me, is the greatest measure of success.” 

“Its not a contest about whose days suck the most. The point is we all have to put up with the bad days.” 

“Sometimes I think my head is so big because it is so full of dreams.” 


Happy reading!
Love, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment