Tuesday 10 June 2014

NeonStory: #1 The Hallyu Wave and Me

Taking vain selfies with thick makeup on was a huge trend back then. Since the Hallyu wave rocked the world like a huge earthquake, girls now craze over Korean fashion a.k.a Kfashion or Kstyle. Nowadays, girls live up to the saying "less is more." Girls back then crazed over thick eye makeup which is popular in Japan and now they're practically taking of their masks and go for a more natural look which is popular in Korea. My brother and I were talking about the Hallyu wave and he asked something which I think we all have no answer to: When did the Hallyu wave start? It was so so sudden and it's not backing down, no, it's getting stronger and hotter cuzz Koreans don't back down. *inserts gangsta sign*


So i'm going to talk about how I got sucked into this Hallyu blackhole.

I believe that everyone started off with the influences of Kpop such as Super Junior, which was the IT group back then; Girls Generation, Big Bang, 2NEI, 4 Minute and more.


When I was in pri 6, a friend of mine was really into SS501 particularly Kim Hyun Joong from Boys Over Flowers. She was so madly in love with them and somehow, (I really don't know how but) I too fell into the deep pits of kpop. But I wasn't crazy over SS501, I was crazy over Super Junior. That was when Han Geng was still there. I really liked them especially SJM because I was able to understand what they were singing because one of the main reasons I don't really listen to kpop (even now) is that I don't know what their singing. I'm the type of person who puts lyrics in front of music itself, although the music is really important too. 



After a while I just got sick of them. *shy* *shy* (not to say sick but my enthusiasm just fell out of love with them) 

I went back listening to Europe artists and when I was in sec 1, I was introduced to Kpop again by a relative of mine and to be frank, she was a fan of Kpop a long time ago even though she's way older than me. *salutes* So she introduced me to Beast since she's a big fan back then and she introduced me to their Fact and Fiction album. 

I didn't like it. I thought it was just meaningless music because again, I didn't know what they were singing because I wasn't able to understand. So my love for kpop just faded away like this. I listened to Mandopop instead. FYI, my Mandopop was worst than my Kpop. And because the people around me kept talking about celebs that I don't know about so I started listening to Mandopop by tuning in to the radio every day just to check out new hits and now my Mandopop is so much better than my Kpop. :P

Until...Fantastic Baby came out! It was as powerful as the Hallyu wave itself. At first I didn't like it, then my friends kept going "WOW...Fantastic Baby..Dance!" and tbh I was like "WOW...stfu" at first and I went to check out the M/V. Everyone was like wow TOP, wow Taeyang, OMG Daesung, wait...why is GD's hair like this? It's so weird. 




All my friends didn't like GD's style in Fantastic Baby and I was the only one who loved it. I was literally attracted to him (well not literally, well maybe) I was like "This guy's got swag. He's different." I was just attracted to him at first sight (well not first sight but hmm first M/V?) I still didn't know who Big Bang was and certainly didn't know about GD too so I did what everyone would do: GOOGLE. 

He's just so talented and he knows what he's doing. He's got his own style and who doesn't love guys with their own swag right? :P


I fell in love with him (eww I sound creepy now) since then, 2 years and counting! #fangirl

Then I started watching variety shows like Running Man to Muhan Dojeon to Family Outing (it gets older hahaha) and through those shows I got to know a lot of celebs and i'll name a few that I really like.



1. Yonghwa (CN BLUE) *inserts heart eyes emoji*
2. Kwanghee (ZE:A) - Dang! Every variety show should make him a permanent cast member. His puns are priceless. It's a talent!
3. Daesung (Big Bang) - Same as Kwanghee. Daebak!
4. Park Myung Soo and the Muhan Dojeon (Infinite Challenge) gang! - I just love watching them!

As for fashion and style, I think it's because Kfashion is the IT fashion right now and no one wants to be out of style right? So we all are naturally attracted to Korean fashion. 


So this is the Hallyu wave and Me! What's yours? 

Thanks xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment